Re: [RFI] Charge Pump IC's & RFI?

To: qrv@kd4e.com, RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>, ka5s@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Charge Pump IC's & RFI?
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 13:56:17 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
David, Cortland, Jim, and All,

As said by others, the chip makers do not need to meet RFI requirements, but it
is the users (in this case, the makers of end devices which sue the chips) that
are responsible for meeting technical requirements.  Some of the issues that
affect RFI performance for a given chip are:

- Clock and data signal rise and fall times
- Signal rates
- Circuit board layout (trace routing)
- Circuit board construction (use of multiple layer board with internal ground
planes versus cheap and sleazy single sided boards with lots of jumpers and no
impedance control of data traces)
- Enclosure type (conductive material or not)
- Connector choices (when required)
- Power level of the circuit (milliwatts versus hundreds of watts - milliamps
versus 10s of amps)
- Price target of end product

That is by no means an all-inclusive list.  Many of us in the EMC industry make
our livings by providing design support to equipment designers who may be
excellent in product development but lack thorough understanding of the rules
for implementing good EMC designs.  When companies short-cut the process of
"design to pass" requirements, that's when we end up with "screamers" on the
market.

73, Dale
WA9ENA
E-N-A Systems, LLC