Re: [RFI] Keyboard RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Keyboard RFI
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 10:51:37 -0700
On 8/22/2013 10:03 AM, Charlie Gallo wrote:
One odd thing I found - every keyboard around the house (and I have different
brands from cheap to Unicomp Model M keyboards) has horrid RFI_IF_  you are
close to it (like the hand held within say 6-9 inches)

Most trash like this is radiated as a common mode signal by the cable -- in other words, the cable is a transmitting antenna. Before spending big bucks on a new keyboard, I would try a suitable common mode choke on the cable. "Suitable" means wound on a suppression core with the number of turns that makes it resonant in the frequency range of the interference. Bear in mind that the typical circuit Q of the resonance is on the order of 0.4 to 1. Fair-Rite #31 is the weapon of choice below 5 MHz, and is quite effective to about 200 MHz. Fair-Rite #43 is a bit better above 20 MHz, and quite effective down to about 5 MHz.

Some of the trash may be radiated by wiring within the keyboard itself, and a common mode choke won't make a dent in that part of it.

73, Jim K9YC