Re: [RFI] ONE wallwart

To: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ONE wallwart
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:52:19 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Charlie,

Yes, there are places to go get "clean" linear power supplies, but they are
getting fewer by the year.  There are 2 commercial vendors I can recommend,
strictly on the basis if having been a happy customer. They are Marlin P Jones
& Associates, in Florida, and Jameco Electronics, in California.  There might
also be choices at Mouser Electronics and Digi-Key, but I have not seen their
catalogs or web sites in a long time.

First, MPJA:  Go to their web site <www.mpja.com> or contact them at (800)
652-6733 for details or a catalog.  They are a distributor of International
Power open frame LINEAR power supplies.  I have used that brand (or their main
competitor, Power One) in previous industrial applications.  They are butt-ugly
(and rather large) units built on a one-piece aluminum L-shaped chassis, and
the 5V and 12V versions are both available in output current ranges of around
1.5 amps to more than 15 amps.  They are made in USA (as far as I know) and the
cost is around $40 for the small ones and upwards of $250 for the much larger
ones.  They use easy to get replacement parts, have full UL safety approvals
(real, not fake), and the power transformers have dual primary windings so that
you can wire them for 120 or 240 volt operation.  If appearance is not
important, or if you can make or buy a housing, this is a very good approach to
consider.  The smaller models are around 4.87" by 4" by 2.1
 " and weigh 2 lb.

Jameco: They carry a line of wall warts, most being switchers, but there are
several linear types, as well.  Google them for web site and see what they
have.  Note that some of the wall warts are unregulated types - meaning that
they produce the rated output voltage and current at rated current load, but
output voltage can be a lot higher with light loading.  (Example: A wart rated
for 12VDC output at 2 amps might very well deliver almost 18VDC at less than
0.5 amp load.)

A caution about the 19V supplies for computers: In some cases, it only seems as
if the laptops have a common type of DC power connector.  However, it has come
to my attention that Dell computers, in particular, "know" when the power
supply is not an OEM original or equivalent.  When that happens, it is my
understanding that the battery is either not recharged at all or at a very slow
rate.  Therefore, you might check around before trying to replace an OEM
computer wall wart with something else.  You could be stuck with a switcher.  I
am typing this on a Dell laptop and the switcher powering it is OK, as long as
you don't get either the lap top or the wall wart within 5 feet of an AM
broadcast band radio that you wish to use while on the computer.  Thank you,
FCC, for no required radiated emission limits in that frequency range.

Bottom line: Be prepared to give up some degree of portability if you want
clean DC power.  Compactness, light weight, low cost, and universal voltage
operation are all long suites in favor of switchers.  Consider that maybe you
only need clean power in or near your shack, so a larger, more hefty linear
supply might be the answer there and save the switchers for other applications.
 OTOH, if you really do want small linear wall warts and do not find what you
need at a dealer, then ham fest junk bins really can be THE place to look.
Those bins may well contain perfectly good linear "clean" supplies that were
the norm 15 to 25 years ago.  It's all about trade-offs (and keeping your HF
antennas as far away from the house as possible).

73, Dale
WA9ENA