Re: [RFI] Tecsun PL-380 - Is 50 dbu a "Bad Pole"?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Tecsun PL-380 - Is 50 dbu a "Bad Pole"?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 14:13:38 -0700
On 9/9/2013 1:34 PM, Aaron Kreider wrote:
I've tested a bunch of poles in the neighborhood using AM and the small portable Tecsun PL-380.

The second nearest pole has a maximum 50 dbu signal measurement- if I put the radio right next to the ground wire. This is about as bad as I've found. Is this a sign of a bad pole?

It's telling you that the ground wire is carrying that noise current, so it is also radiating it. When it's louder at a given pole, it probably means that the noise source is closer to that pole. But it can also be the result of current minima and maxima along an antenna (the power line), which will be a function of wavelength.

Also, not all poles have ground wires, so make your comparisons with poles that do.

73, Jim K9YC