Re: [RFI] Nest Thermostat - Think about this

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Nest Thermostat - Think about this
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 22:35:49 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
All who have posted on the thread ...

Folks, before any given t'stat unit is praised or condemned, consider that EACH
installation is different.  Yes, some may have better RFI protection than
others, but keep in mind the basic principles that govern the situation:

1.  RF field strength produced by the source (antenna + xmtr power)

2.  Distance between source and victim (t'stat or other controller)

3.  Threshold of malfunction of the victim (a combination of field strength and
frequency + the size of the victim's antenna [the wiring between the t'stat and
the HVAC system and/or the Internet connection - if wired])

Remember: ALL silicon junctions will go into forward conduction at about 0.6 to
0.7 volts (self-rectified from applied RF).  I suspect that some units on the
market have a degree of RF immunity designed in, but probably not all makes and
models do, and the tolerable limit may be quite small.  The wiring between the
t'stat and the HVAC unit is the antenna (unless the t'stat also has AC power
and the Internet connection applied to it via a separate wired feeds - then it
has 2 or 3 antennas).  RF choking needs to be applied to BOTH ends of each
"antenna", as the HVAC internal controller or the switch/router could
malfunction just as much as the t'stat.  See the K9YC info (posted many times
on this reflector) for how to address the RF cleanup.

The villain in all of this seems to be the ham antennas.  Those located close
to the house (whether alongside or above) are the worst cases.  One "cure"
could be to either move the antennas further away or reduce xmtr power (NOT
what you want to hear).  However, for anyone who has a t'stat that goes nutsy
with RF applied, try this experiment: if possible, use the antenna that causes
problems and then reduce power in 10dB steps.  Start at QRO levels (say 1000
watts), then go down to 100 watts, then 10 watts, then 1 watt, if possible.  If
you hit a power level that no longer causes RFI to the t'stat, you have found
the "threshold of pain" for that unit.

In general, if you either move the antenna further away OR don't exceed the
threshold power level OR apply RFI suppression to the t'stat wiring, you should
be OK.  You need to do at least one of the above, or try another brand/model of
unit.  If you have no problems with your unit (as seems to be the case for Jim,
below), then count yourself lucky.  My electronic t'stat is a Robertshaw, but
it is not remotely controllable.  Most of my HF antennas are at least 100 feet
from the house, with the main radiating parts even further out.  Thus, my
t'stat is "great" because it does not malfunction when I operate.  The problem
is that I have no clue what it would do if there was a 1000 watt signal within
20 feet of the unit.

Bottom line: it is very difficult to say what any given device will do in the
presence of strong RF fields.  Thus, when buying a unit, make certain that you
can return it if it malfunctions.  Lacking that, contact the manufacturer (or
their rep) PRIOR to installation and see what they say about RF and their
product.  Good luck.

73, Dale
WA9ENA