Re: [RFI] DigiKeyer II

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DigiKeyer II
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 16:11:19 -0600
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Dale J. <dj2001x@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Peter, de Dale, K9VUJ
>
> If you got a computer connected the most likely place at least that I've
> found is the keyboard cable and mouse cable picking up RF and distributing it
> all over connected devices.  I myself have my mouse and keyboard cables
> wrapped in #31 mix snap-in's.  Be sure the snap-on is making good contact at
> it's mating surfaces.  Wrap tightly with tape if the snaps do not seem to
> close it properly.

To review: same setup with a Rig Blaster Plus in place of the DK-II,
including a connection to ACC1 on the IC746Pro never had this issue;
If I disconnect the DIN connector at ACC1, the problem vanishes - this
is not true if I disconnect the Key or CI-V lines (all of which come
from a DB15 on the unit, as you surely know).

> The two mating surfaces have to come together completely, otherwise it's as
> if it were't even there.  The best of course is a solid ring, but with
> keyboard and mouse cables it's not alway easy to get the USB connectors
> though the ring several times unless you buy a big one, a little more $.

I bought a bunch of #31 and #43 Fair-rite 2.5" toroids and yes, they
are "expensive" but not compared to the DK-II!  Four turns of the
interface cable through a #31 toroid changed nothing.

And yes about the snap-ons!  A few years ago, while fixing a different
RFI issue, I heard no change in the noise as I put the choke over the
wire until the two halves mated - boom! gone.  I touched/untouched
several time just to convince myself I wasn't imagining things, so
yeah, ferrite works and it has to be all the way around the cable!

> I've had zero RFI problems with my digikeyer.  They are pretty RFI proof, so
> I don't understand why you are having such a time with it.  That is the
> nature of RFI I guess, it's all black magic…hi, not really, but frustrating
> at times.

On that we can all agree:  it's magic.  :-D