Re: [RFI] An inverter question or two.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] An inverter question or two.
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:25:26 -0600
I have posted this many times in the past but the Cotek (Samlex) S150/S300 series of inverters are extremely quiet. They are heavy, generate a 60Hz sine wave (not a digitally pulse width version of a sine wave) and not inexpensive. I have an S300-112 (300W, 12V to 120VAC) which exceeds FCC part 15 class B by quite a bit as measured with a LISN and a spectrum analyzer with the proper bandwidth and quasi-peak detector. I know a guy at Cotek who told me that these inverters were intended initially for ambulance service powering medical equipment but are available from many internet suppliers.

You probably won't like this unit as it is not small (9.33" x 6.10" x 2.83" and weighs 7.7lbs.) but I highly doubt you could make something better/quieter in the same size package. About 75% of the interior is occupied by the 60Hz toroidal transformer. The case is aluminum and doubles as a heat sink for the FETs and provides shielding. The unit runs very cool and the quiescent current is 26mA when on and nothing is drawing a load.

73,
Larry, W0QE