Re: [RFI] "Quiet" RS 75 watt inverter

To: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] "Quiet" RS 75 watt inverter
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 13:10:08 -0700
On 24 Mar 2014 at 14:33, David Robbins wrote:

> believe it or not there are hams with noise levels around s0 most of the time.

Oh, I certainly believe that, all right.

> if I had an s2 noise that wasn't from atmospherics I would be out hunting!

Consider yourself lucky. :-)

> > In fact, I cannot hear any noise from it at all.
>
> Question: Aren't you the guy talking about chasing down strong noise?

Yup.

> (I saw 20 dB over S9 in one of your posts a week or two ago).

Yes. On 80 meters using my 55' tall vertical to an FT-890.

> If so,
> how have you determined that these units are quiet?

By plugging it into the power outlet socket of our 2004 Chrysler T&C van,
then connecting my NM-20B to it. The NM-20B is designed specifically to
find and identify noise.

When I used a different inverter I have here, a 400 watt job, all I could hear
was the stupid inverter. Using the better 75 watt job, I hear no noise from the
inverter at all on the NM-20B while out DFing.

> Is it possible that
> one or both are putting out S9 noise that would be 24 dB above the S5
> that someone in a quieter location, and that ham would call it very
> noisy? :)

Maybe, but I doubt it. The noise I am hearing from the home station is
horribly loud, and when I feed the output of the FT-890 set in AM mode, with
the widest filter I can use, into my computer with Spectran loaded and active,
I see two very distinct "bands" at the lower edge of the frequency trace on
the screen. Proper manipulation of the controls brings those out very clearly.

Although Spectran's frequency display is not particularly good at the low end,
it seems quite clear that the two traces are 60 and 120 Hz.

> Believe it or not there are hams with noise levels on the
> order of S2 at times.

Oh, yes, but that can also depend on the band.

I don't know too many hams who have an S-2 noise level on 80 though.

Most people I have talked with "enjoy" a noise level of about S-5 to S-7.

I was talking with one friend who lives out in the woods and uses battery
power who, apparently, hears things that none of the rest of us do due to his
extremely low noise level.

Sounds like Heaven to me.

Ken W7EKB