Re: [RFI] Shielded vs unshielded loops - difference

To: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>, Rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Shielded vs unshielded loops - difference
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 09:06:47 -0700
On 28 Mar 2014 at 23:41, Tom Thompson wrote:

> Ken,
>
> The balun is just several turns of the coax through the #43 ferrite core
> material.
>
> Tom

Thanks, Tom. I had considered doing what I did many years ago when I was doing
phone
patching for AFMARS into Vietnam: winding the coax feeding the antenna into a
several-turn
tight coil and tye-wrapping it tight.

Your method is much better.

The only reason I probably won't use it this time is that I don't have a
ferrite core, and I am in
a hurry. ;-)

Also, I want to publicly thank Larry Benko for his very, very helpful telephone
call to me
yesterday. Thanks, Larry.

Despite my over 60 year career in electronics (first licensed in 1956 when I
was still 13), I
have never yet done any DFing. Although I knew the principles, as Larry told
me, it takes
practice.

So... I am now practicing.

vy 73,