Re: [RFI] Link-coupled loop - more

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Link-coupled loop - more
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 18:40:36 -0600
Your vertical whip coupled into the bottom fed loop works great for vertically polarized signals but does not work for horizontally polarized signals IMHO. Sorry if you think I was attacking you. I have built many loops with a vertical sense antenna and after adjusting the magnitude and phase to work well with vertically polarized signals I could never get a "reasonable" unidirectional lobe for horizontal signals. If you disagree with me, please post some reference or design that I could build.

I have done probably a thousand transmitter hunts mostly on 80m and 2m with a few on 10m and 70cm. I have competed in competitive ARDF hunts on 80m and 2m and I have also done many searches for RFI. I have tried coupling RF into power lines by coupling into the AC wiring in a house. In every case (with overhead power lines) I was easily able to find the source without the outside power lines becoming a radiator that masked the house where the source was actually located. I attributed this to the massive capacitance in the transformer feeding the house and the fact that the transformer case is always grounded. Have you seen something different?

73,
Larry, W0QE