Re: [RFI] Fwd: Re: broadcasting interference

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fwd: Re: broadcasting interference
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 22:55:42 -0700
On 4/14/2014 5:28 PM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
I tested today from home, less than 1 kmts from the broadcasting antenna and
didn´t notice it.

Jorge,

I suggest that you try to find a portable (or mobile) RX that tunes 80M, then walk or drive around to try to hear it. Such products are often the result of rectification by some non-linear junction, and are re-radiated. The Tecsun PL-660 is an excellent consumer all-band RX that sells for about $130 in the US. It can detect AM, SSB, and CW on the HF bands, and covers from long wave (~ 250 kHz) up to 30 MHz, plus FM broadcast and the AM Aircraft band (~ 118 MHz to 132 MHz). Sensitivity is pretty good.

Many ham FM talkies have the additional RX capability from the AM broadcast band up to 800 MHz. I use my Kenwood TH-F6A for that fairly often. Sensitivity falls off a LOT outside the VHF/UHF ham bands, but it will hear stuff if you're really close. There are also ICOM and Yaesu talkies with this capability.

73, Jim K9YC