Re: [RFI] More on "my" noise.

To: Don Moman VE6JY <ve6jy.1@gmail.com>, "Rfi@contesting.com" <Rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] More on "my" noise.
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:53:05 -0700
On 28 Apr 2014 at 17:19, Don Moman VE6JY wrote:

> As other have said STANAG is very common on HF.  I have used SIGMIRA
> software in the past to decode it.
>
> I hear the signal on 4286 khz very loud here at almost any time, even now
> (almost midday) it is strong so I'd suspect the signal would come from CFS
> transmitters near Matsqui, BC.  I do not know this for a fact so don't turn it
> into one. I do know that the signal observed here is less than 4 khz wide and
> if
> it was truly as wide as you claim (over 3 mhz), that would be a serious issue
> and would be widely reported by the many amateurs in the PNW.

Within the last half-hour, it has been reported to me from at least 6 other
hams all who live within 10 miles of me...and by one who lives 100 miles
north of me.

ALL of them report very serious interference which they were never able to
"characterize" nor find the source since it sounds so very much like
extremely loud "band noise" or "white noise".

I suspect that very, very few hams would even recognize it for what it actually
is, and thus it would never be reported.

Ken W7EKB