Re: [RFI] Noisy computer Power Supply

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noisy computer Power Supply
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 10:25:46 -0400

I have 4 Corsair HX850 (850W) supplies (certified modular)
1 is less than 3 feet and 1 is about 4 feet from the HF station in the den. The HF Rig FTDX 5000MP is on the same network. The two CPUs are running between 4.4 and 5 GHz. The 5 GHz is new so no real experience except for on and off. I have a similar setup in the shop but with an Icom 756 Pro and a Yaesu 1000 MK-V

The 75 and 160 antennas are within 60 feet of the network, except the Network and coax lines run parallel and about 3' apart.

I don't detect a bit of noise from the computers. These are high performance gaming computers that are also used for business and programming with 4 and 8 core CPUs. Each has roughly 6 HDs. I say roughly as they get moved around a lot. It's easier to pull a drive caddy than to move a loaded, full size, steel tower case.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Just built a new server..to my dismay, the power supply is so noisy as to
negate *any* conversation on HF.

Before I play the ‘buy and return’ game, does anyone here have knowledge of a
***quiet*** 480 or higher, ATX, SATA capable, power supply?  (And who carries them!)

Thanks..

Joe - W7RKN