Re: [RFI] RFI Power Supplies

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Power Supplies
From: CR <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 12:46:11 -0400
On 6/5/2014 11:43 PM, CR wrote:

I HAVE noticed, after the batteries (two 6V 200AH deep cycle batteries) are discharged a while, that when the power comes back on and the DLS-55 gets to serious charging, there is very noticeable RF noise around IIRC 2.8 MHz. Will have to measure the noise. There's a SA sitting right over it on a table; why not? Heh!

The charger is to blame; conducted emissions in the inverter power lead rise as much as 40 dB (at 2.36 MHz) when the charger is plugged into the outlet strip.

A closer look with a single sweep tells me (no surprise) the charger is running at a very light load. I suspect this is pulse-skipping to accommodate the float state.

Frequencies below in KHz.

467.0 * strongerr (25-30dB) peaks
475.6# Lower peaks
483.7#