Re: [RFI] Utility coming tomorrow to chase RFI

To: Rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Utility coming tomorrow to chase RFI
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 13:17:50 -0700
On 8 Jun 2014 at 15:16, qrv@kd4e.com wrote:

> Is there any reason, other than size & versatility (no Ham tx),
> to not use a Radio Shack PRO 93 or Pro 94 scanner?
>
> They *appear* to receive AM across a broad range.

Two reasons that I can think of: 1) they have no signal-strength meter AND
they have AGC so telling whether or not you are approaching or going away
from the source of noise is very difficult, and 2) they really have no
directional
antenna in them either, or even a connection for an external antenna..

I have one of those two here. I am going to try to dig into it in hopes that I
can
find the AGC connection. If I can, I'll connect some sort of metering method to
that so I have even a rudimentary "S" meter.

And secondly, I hope to be able to connect an external antenna connection
so I can connect my "Thompson's Link-coupled Loop" or some other form of
directional antenna to it.

Once that is done, then it will be more useful.

Ken W7EKB