Re: [RFI] RFI into modem and GFCI

To: "George VE3YV" <ve3yv@pathcom.com>, RfI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI into modem and GFCI
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 14:00:50 -0800
On 12 Jan 2015 at 16:44, George VE3YV wrote:

> A quick side note on this thread:  most electrical codes require any outlet
> near
> (within 1 meter = 39") water or outdoors to have a  GFCI for safety.

Yes. That's true here too. In fact, our city codes require a GFCI on any outlet
in a basement. Also, in the bathroom.

> Granted in
> this case the pipes are plastic, so no direct metallic connection to ground,
> but
> water does conduct at a level.

Yes, depending on how much mineral is in it. Distilled water is an insulator,
but even putting your finger in a gallon of it can make it a conductor within a
few seconds.

>   A worst case analogy would be a FD back in
> university days where in the middle of the night one of the guys decided to go
> outside the operating tent to improve the ground conductivity of our ground
> stake and got quite a surprise.  Of course that water had somewhat better
> conductivity.

Ha ha! :-)

Thanks,

Ken W7EKB