[RFI] Great Price on Nice 12V Computer Monitor For the Shack

To: Elecraft <techwrt@elecraft.com>, Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Great Price on Nice 12V Computer Monitor For the Shack
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 11:55:13 -0800
Costco has the Samsung S24D590PL computer monitor on sale for a short time for $170. I just put two of them in my shack -- one as an extension of my laptop screen, and the other on a P3. Their size is very good for this use in the shack. Max resolution is 1920x1080. W6GJB put two of them in his FD/CQP trailer last summer, and they work quite well there. In both installations (mine and his), we're using ferrite chokes on the video cables and power cables.

They come with switching power supplies, and the the DC connector on the back of the monitor says 14VDC. I cut the cable near the power supply, installed Power Poles, and am running them from the 12VDC system that runs the rest of my radio gear. They draw less than 600 mA from my 12V system, which is a pair of 6V Trojan golf cart batteries float charged with a little 10A supply during the winter and solar panels during the summer. I didn't bother to test them with the 120V PSU, because I wanted them to run from the 12V system.

Probing with a Kenwood talkie and the antennas close to my shack, I find them RF quiet.

Someone gave me a 3-year old predecessor of this monitor with touch-screen controls that does flips in the presence of RF and that puts out a lot of RF trash. Rather different part number. You don't want one.

73, Jim K9YC