Re: [RFI] High local noise level...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] High local noise level...
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 00:17:36 -0700
On Sat,3/14/2015 5:50 PM, Kenneth G. Gordon wrote:
If this is so (and I am NOT arguing with you about the need for better
bonding) why is it that my noise disappears when I disconnect the
antenna?

Did you study the tutorial? A fundamental cause of triplen harmonics of the power line (divisible by 3) is leakage current from the power line causing a voltage drop on the "green wire where that equipment is powered, making the chassis "hot" with that power line buzz. Every such chassis "grounded" at a different point is at a different potential. If, for example, your antenna is grounded somewhere else, that determines the AC potential of your radio. The DIFFERENCE in potential between the radio chassis and every other chassis is ADDED to any unbalanced interconnection. Like, for example, between the radio and your computer.