Re: [RFI] An interesting RFI "noise" on 40 meters

To: <Rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] An interesting RFI "noise" on 40 meters
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:24:17 +0000
Exact sound is probably not all that useful... but the characteristics may
help you narrow it down when you go DF it... something on and off for 30
seconds at a time... unstable... 12khz spacing.

The 30 seconds is very suspicious... something cycling to maintain
temperature, or overheating and cycling... think about aquarium heaters,
electric blankets, or something like a lamp ballast with a bad bulb... any
street lamps flickering nearby every 30 seconds or so... check it at night
when its colder and see if it is much faster or slower, maybe give you an
idea if it is exposed to the elements.

Unstable, 12khz spacing... think cheap or poorly regulated switching supply
rather than tv or monitor that is usually more stable, again maybe a lamp
ballast, supply for led lamp, battery charger, etc.

But in any case you won't know until you go find it!

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net