Re: [RFI] 40 Meter RFI Issue

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 40 Meter RFI Issue
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 20:38:07 -0700
On 26 Sep 2015 at 18:48, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Sat,9/26/2015 4:23 PM, Michael Coslo wrote:
> > Now the question is, has anyone silenced one of these inverters
> > successfully?
>
> Some inverters are quieter than others. I've not encountered any of the
> Samlex units, but from studying data sheets, it seems that there are two
> product lines, one of which meets more stringent specs for EMC and has
> Safety Agency approvals.
>
> Others who own one of these units might comment.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

I have two "RF silent" inverters. One, a Samlex unit, I specifically requested
that it be the most RF clean unit they had.

It is superbly quiet.

One can, effectively, use the outer case as an antenna for a receiver and
there is no noticable RFI.

Mine is a 300 watt unit.

The other unit is a very small 75 watt unit I bought from Radio Shack before
they went bust. It was advertised as being RF quiet, and it most definitely is.

I use it to power a Stoddart NM-20B for DFing RFI. There is no noticeable
noise from it. I must admit to being quite surprised, but it is definitely RF
quiet.

Ken W7EKB