Re: [RFI] Auto quieting

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Auto quieting
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 02:15:18 -0400
Put one end of the heavy zip cord (the red and black stuff) in a vise and the other in an electric drill motor. Pull the trigger and you have instant twisted pair at ant twist you want. I've found it to generally be cheaper than seperate wires if you don't purchase it at the audio stores.

I purchase CAT 5 and 6 in the 1000' boxes. I've never found one yet that spooled out the way it should, at least to begin. It's tempting to just pull, but that just causes a bunch of knots in the box. Any sharp bends are likely to break those tiny, solid wires.. I typically have to open the box and remove the first two inside layers. They are fine after that. I cut the ends a bit long, comb them out in order, clamp them with a pair of seizers as close to the jacket as possible (roll the jacket back and forth and you can get right up to the jacket so the connector will clamp on the jacket) with a length "slightly" greater than the recommended 1/2 inch, cut them flush, push them into the connector and clamp. Now that I have it down, I rarely get a bad one. ( I did waste a few connectors while learning). I do run them through one of the relatively inexpensive testers though. The tester is food insurance. I put snag proof boots over each connector. They are cheap, and a half dozen colors is usually more than enough. You can use plain connectors and colored tape, but the colored boots cost little if any extra.

BTW I'm not fond of the usual tiny, solid wires used in CAT-5 and 6 cables. OTOH the tiny stranded wires have not proven any better for me and they take different connectors for the best results. NOTE: you can not just run the wires straight through. Color for color they are pin for pin, but there is a specific order. The 2 standard pin outs are listed on the net!

Being able to "roll your own" can be really handy in today's ham shacks with rigs, computers and the Internet tied together. The connectors and boots are cheap. Call around, or stop at the work sites and ask if they have a few pieces. There's lots of short pieces of CAT-5 and even CAT-6 for free. Be careful of purchasing the really cheap stuff on e-bay. On much of it the jacket just falls apart after being out in the sun for even a month or two. Many of the colors just fade to white in a short time. Kinks are fatal for CAT-5.

73

Roger  (K8RI)