Re: [RFI] One Voice Can Make a Difference!

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] One Voice Can Make a Difference!
From: Gary Smith via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 14:22:14 -0800
As the Brits say: "Good job, well done".

Gary...wa6fgi

On 12/9/2015 12:32 AM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
I posted a similar note to Tower Talk. Please do not cross post any answers.

A while back I found that our township was rewriting their zoning. I found that they planned on addressing towers as a single group and that they were also addressing tower heights along the approach paths to the local airport (KIKW) which has at present "I believe" 5 or 6 instrument approaches.

I called the head of the zoning board and mentioned that the FAA already had addressed the approach and structure heights. There was also the approach to towers, grouping amateur with commercial towers. That ours is a volunteer service that during emergencies works with the EOC. Their approach would put the cost of towers out of reach for most hams.

The next day, the person in charge of that part of the rewrite called me. We had a nice talk for a good half hour or so. In the end amateur installations were removed from the zoning regulations entirely as were the references to the airport.

This was pertaining to antennas, but there have been many instances of regulations placing interference problems on the shoulders of hams, but a "so what" attitude when it's the ham being interfered with.

It matters not what party is in power, but ham radio often become the political orphan, that gets the blame. We have the ARRL and their years of experience behind us, but even with the law on our side, prevailing over opinion, be it local or a wider area can be extremely costly with the opposition depending on the ham not being able to afford to fight the battle. They also depend on the thought of the hostile neighbors it'd cause. If it's reached this stage it's doubtful if you are on their Christmas card list anyway. We need to provide well thought out information provided in a helpful manner to try for a friendly resolution..

My point is that I was the only person who called with information pertaining to amateur radio. Had I (one person) not called, there would have been some heavy restrictions on ham towers.

73

Roger (K8RI)

---