[RFI] (Fwd) Fw: help me identify the noise...etc.

To: Rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] (Fwd) Fw: help me identify the noise...etc.
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 12:18:35 -0800
OK. I am going to try this one more time: the ham who sent me the e-mail
below needs some advice from the group. I first attempted to include his
photo in my post to the forum, but it was too large, and got bounced.

The photo he sent shows what, to my mind, is a pretty unusual waveform for
the noise in question, and I would like some of you to read his descriptioin,
look at the photo, and tell me if it looks like anything familiar.

I can send the photo to anyone who asks for it.

His rig is a KX3 and he can run it on a battery.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

vy 73 and Merry Christmas.

Ken W7EKB
Subject:        Fw: help me identify the noise...etc.
Date sent:      Wed, 23 Dec 2015 04:31:11 +0000

Hello Ken

It was great to talk to you this evening.

This is the noise I'm seeing.   I think I have a video as well.

Maybe you can help me with this sporadic noise source.

The things I know about the noise source - see attached photo.

*   This is not from the radio, if I disconnect the antenna the noise goes
    away.
*   This is not from my house, as I turn off all the AC power to my house I
    still see the noise.
*   The noise seems to turn on every 10 minutes or so and lasts for 5
    minutes or so.
*   It seems to be 20KHz apart but is broad band in terms of the
    interference.
*   It seems to have hit when the cold weather came to town

I see the noise on the 15 and 17 meter bands.
It is not debilitating and I'm still able to operate.

My antenna is a 31 foot vertical with a number of raised radials.    I run
about 100 foot of RG8X.
I use the KX3 tuner to tune into the band I want to operate.

Just thought he might have ideas.  See attachment, and I have higher
resolution photos and a video if you want.

Much Regards
Dwight
WM5F

Kenneth G. Gordon W7EKB

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."--- John   Wayne