Re: [RFI] Using the SDRPlay receiver for RFI for searches

To: "Frank N. Haas KB4T" <utility.rfi.pro@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Using the SDRPlay receiver for RFI for searches
From: Tom Thompson <w0ivj@tomthompson.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 11:30:01 -0700
Hi Frank,

I have used SDR Console and HDSDR and decided that HDSDR is the best app for me. It takes some time to learn, however.

I have recently been tracking down some CenturyLink modem uplink leakage that is present from 3.75 MHz to 5.1 MHz. The antenna system, which consists of a high impedance preamp and a 3 ft. whip, is really important since it is not tuned and I don't have a narrow band antenna factor to worry about. The down side of that kind of a set up is that SDRPlay may become overloaded since the system is looking wide band. To overcome that, I have built some small band pass filters that I insert between the high impedance preamp and the SDRPlay receiver. These filters pass only the spectrum that I am interested in. So far I have filters for 80m, 40m, 20m, and the Century link spectrum. If I am not near any strong broadcast stations, the filters are not needed. Also, the wide spectrum of SDRPlay allows me to see what I am really tracking and not to get confused by other noise sources in the area.

I always use VHF or UHF with a Yagi to track power line noise.

73,   Tom   W0IVJ