Re: [RFI] Invisible Fence ICT-801 interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Invisible Fence ICT-801 interference
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 15:19:41 -0800
: Nevertheless he said for folks having interference problems they recommend
: the installation of a Corcom filter model 10VK6.  Just connect this up
: between the output of the transmitter and the underground wire loop that
: connects to it.  Sounds like this will function similar to my home brew
: filter.  I will buy one myself and see how it compares to my filter.

Interesting....

Along such lines, perhaps someone can explain this to me.

I've been playing with LED light bulbs and swapping out the old bulbs in the
house.

To test for noise, I made up a simple setup on the bench.  It's a 6'
three-wire cord with spade connectors on the end.  The wires in the cord are
twisted.  I have a socket that I can plug into the end of the cable and
screw in a light bulb.  Of the three wires, the green wire- ground, is not
used with the light socket.

The bulb I was testing at the time was the 100W equivalent "Great Value"
brand from WalMart.

I plug it in, the light lights up.  Sweeping a portable shortwave RX along
the bulb and line, RFI is noted at the bulb itself and for about 2" down the
cord and nothing along the cord.  RFI is not detected at the bulb more than
about 2".  A surprisingly quiet bulb.  I have nine in the shop now with no
issues.

What I wanted to test was the possibility of using any garbage generic brand
LED bulb and use an RFI filter at the socket.  I have a couple dozen of
various manufacture, two and three wire jobs, all in sealed steel cans of
various current ratings.  Some of the filters and new, some used.

In each an every case, with a filter installed, whether two or three wires
at the input connected, the entire line cord blasted RFI!  It was not only
along the entire length, but could be heard a couple feet away from the line
cord and back-fed into the house wiring rendering radio ops useless.

No filter, a bulb, wire, not an issue, filter, psycho-RFI-bomb.

Ideas?

Kurt