Re: [RFI] Topband: A Tale of a Successful 160 meter RFI Hunt

To: topband@contesting.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Topband: A Tale of a Successful 160 meter RFI Hunt
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:33:40 -0500 (EST)
Hi Mike,

We never needed to use the loopstick antenna in the PL-660
receiver.

Because I had a very accurate bearing from my 350 foot diameter
8-circle receiving array, we simply used the PL-660 S-meter as
we searched for the RFI along the 325 degree azimuth.

I had initially suspected a large school campus one mile from my
home directly on the 325 degree azimuth, but we couldn't find an
RFI source adjacent to any of their facilities. There was good
reason to suspect the school campus, t here was a serious
electrical fire in one of the buildings four weeks ago and a
multi-million dollar high efficiency HVAC system installation
last summer,

As we continued along the 325 degree azimuth through a rural
area beyond the school campus the signal strength of the
interference increased dramatically as we approached the
Travellers' Information Service transmitter at the far edge of a
200 acre county park.

I had never suspected the TIS transmitter as a source of interference
but you just never know. Its never a good idea to prejudge the
interference source, just use good direction finding techniques and
let physics guide you to the RFI source.

The county turned off the TIS transmitter within a few hours of
being notified of the problem. The sweet sound of silence!

73
Frank
W3LPL