Re: [RFI] Topband: Tecsun 660

To: "Rfi@contesting.com List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Topband: Tecsun 660
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 08:29:36 -0400
On 3/8/2016 4:47 PM, N2TK, Tony wrote:
Curious what you used for a loop antenna?
I am trying to track down a disk to dawn device that puts out 1KHZ wide
signals on 1817, 1825 and 1828. Nowhere else. My Tecsun unfortunately

I had a post-military (comms and avionics) second career of ~30 years in EMC engineering, and found a small untuned loop works well on some hand held radios, not so well on others. Loops like the one below work well enough on an AOR-8000, 8200 and VR500; not so sensitive on a Kenwood TH-F6A.

It's untuned, but sensitive enough if you get to the general area of the source, and will pick up local AMBC stations. I started carrying setups like the one in the link at work; a LOT of engineers -- and their managers -- don't understand how to use test equipment and couldn't figure out how I could get good results with uncalibrated equipment.

See https://www.flickr.com/photos/101461001@N06/albums/72157638957078716

Cortland Richmond
ka5s