Re: [RFI] Doorbell Transformer RFI ??

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Doorbell Transformer RFI ??
From: JW via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 13:18:09 +0000 (UTC)
I've had several in the area go noisey; the mechanism would sem to involve the
internal thermal switch cycling on and off and in the 'on' state the switch
would seem to arc and create the 'arcing' noise often observed.

In one case the doorbell switch was shorted causing doorbell transformer to
overheat and the thermal switch to begin to cycle. Powering that circuit off
for half an hour or so and the xfnr would remain quiet for awhile after being
energized until it self-heated again.

BTW, I saw these xformers in my housing addition fail mostly going from cool
spring into the first warm month of summer.

I have no experience with the SMPS types (if they indeed exist).

73, Jim WB5WPA