[RFI] Quiet DC Supply For Low Voltage Lighting ??

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Quiet DC Supply For Low Voltage Lighting ??
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 09:45:09 -0700
Switching power supplies for low voltage lighting are notoriously noisy. Electrical supply houses sell them as "electronic transformers;" they are unlabeled, no-name boxes, carry no FCC or other EMC certification, and are noisy pigs. I inherited several in the home I bought here in California, and ever since have been trying to replace them. Real transformers are far too large to fit in the electrical back box, so an SMPS is the only practical alternative.

Does anyone know of a quiet SMPS for this application? The lamps in the fixtures need about 2A at 24V, could be AC or DC.

Another option I've been pursuing is finding LED lamps that fit these fixtures; they'll require far less current, so a suitable PSU could be a lot smaller. I'm lighting my shack with five LED strips from Wired Communications, a small biz that has been exhibiting at Pacificon and Visalia for several years. The combined current draw is only 1.2 A from the 12V system in my shack.

73, Jim K9YC