Re: [RFI] How do I know if LED bulbs are noisy?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] How do I know if LED bulbs are noisy?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 17:11:40 -0700
That's a good method if you do it on all bands, preferably when those bands are not open so that you are more likely to hear the noise. Also look for it on spectrum display -- the noise, if there is any, will be from some sort of switching power supply built into the base of the bulb, and will be radiated from house wiring.

Another more sensitive method is to take a portable RX (I use a Kenwood TH-F6A, which has all band RX) set to some quiet frequency in the top of the AM band or just above it and move it around the bulbs and their wiring.

ARRL tested a bunch of LED bulbs a year or two ago and they came up clean, but things change and companies figure out how to build and buy cheaper stuff. :)

73, Jim K9YC