Re: [RFI] Light fixtures

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Light fixtures
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 19:36:11 +0000
From antenna modeling I have done, the decay of noise with distance depends on
how the noise is being coupled on to conductors and how imbalanced those
conductors are.

If noise is coupled onto wires in the common mode, noise will generally decay
at a power rate of the inverse of the distance squared.

If noise is coupled onto well-balanced wiring in the differential mode,
radiation will generally decay at much higher rates, as high as 1/D^3.

For differential-mode coupling onto poorly balanced wiring, the decay rate is
somewhere between those two extremes.

Interestingly, the balance of wiring can vary as loads are changed.  One
obvious change is what happens when a light fixture is switched. When the
switch is closed, the balance of the electrical wiring at RF is fair, and most
power is conducted to the load.  When the switch is opened, it opens only the
hot lead, effectively adding a short piece of end-fed wire to the
electrical-wiring transmission line, and emissions will increase by 10 dB or
more.