Re: [RFI] Power pole equipment/smart meters.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power pole equipment/smart meters.
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 10:02:07 -0700
We also have smart meters that operate in the 896/935 commercial band.
You aren't immune from RFI though as you might think. After they converted our neighborhood over to the smart meters, I was plagued with RFI that seemed like power line noise. It turned out to be my neighbors smart meter. It was from the electrical circuit inside the unit. It took me 4 months of badgering our electrical company to finally get it resolved. They kept saying it was not possible for it to be the smart meters because the operate at such a high frequency, blah, blah. When the technician finally came out I walked with him over to my neighbors house with my portable radio on AM. The AM signal roared when we got close to the smart meter. A half hour later, the smart meter was replaced with a new one and the RFI was gone !

Bob
K6UJ