Re: [RFI] Flourescent lighting

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Flourescent lighting
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:12:30 -0400
Now if they only made them in 8' lengths, full spectrum and 5000 lumens.

73

Roger (K8RI)

On 7/30/2016 Saturday 5:21 PM, John K9UWA wrote:
I just replaced 24 of these 48 inch flourexcent bulbs in our workshop and
garage. I used the following LED 48 inch bulbs.

EarthLED.com
Thinklux LED Fluorescent Replacement Tube - 4 Foot - 18 Watt - Ballast
Bypass - DLC Qualified - Shatterproof - 4000K

Whats the difference? Well consider this. I use a Sony Transistor all band
radio to look for noises. Sony model ICF-2001 advantage to this one is no
automatic noise blanker in the radio. Tunes AM up through FM in AM
SSB/CW or FM modes. In the  AM broadcast band If I got within about 20
feet of one of the original two bulb fixtures this radio lite up all 5 bars for
whatever that is worth in noise. No calibration of the meter. Lots of noticable
dB's of audible noise. Vs the LED bulbs in the same fixtures. You have to
get the antenna within a foot of the fixture before you begin hearing the
noise.

The Ballasts are removed. Slight rewire of full AC line voltage to one end of
the bulbs. Yes internally inside each bulb is a small switcher type supply. It
must have some filtering as they make very little noise.

So the PRO's of these bulbs are.
#1 very little RF noise
#2 notice they burn 17 watts of power rather than the standard 30 watt or
more bulbs. Your Light bill just went down to HALF to burn the bulbs.
#3 they have a 50,000 hour life rather than almost monthly I was in the
workshop replacing at least one or two bulbs. And at least one ballast per
year.

It takes maybe 10 minutes per fixture to rewire and install the LED
replacement bulbs.

I would think that some stores where these lights burn for maybe 14 to 16
hours per day that the electricity savings and the not having to replace the
bulbs would be enough encouragement for store owners to replace those
noisey Flourescent bulbs / ballasts.

In boxes of 20 bullbs per box they are $180 or $9 per bulb. Cheaper yet if
you buy them in 100 lot purchases.

John k9uwa

John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF
Antique Radio Restorations