Re: [RFI] Continuous job keeping radio frequencies clean

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Continuous job keeping radio frequencies clean
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 12:40:21 -0700
Thanks for posting your quest, your detective work, and your solution. All are classic examples of those sources and what it takes to track and kill them.

EVERY power supply should be considered culprit unless proven otherwise. Nearly ALL modern power supplies are swichers, and are noisy. Many/(most?) devices that include digital electronics produce RF noise, so they should also be considered a possible culprit unless proven otherwise.

RF noise is nearly always RADIATED by wires connected to it. When we place a good enough choke on those wires, we greatly reduce the current, which greatly reduces the radiated noise. In this case, the main antenna was the power line. In other situations, it could be the coax cable going to a CATV system, or the audio and/or video wiring to a home entertainment system or a TV.

73, Jim K9YC