Re: [RFI] Air Gig?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Air Gig?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 21:51:19 -0400
I doubt due to the nature of its propagation that much will happen except where the carrier passes through a transformer as in a substation. Appearance wise they "appear" as if they may not need (yes lots of weasel words) to use low voltage residential lines as the height (equal to many towers for residential areas) and power will cover wide areas. A splice might be bypassed as simple as spraying a coating over the splice and back onto the cable as it's the coating that carries the signal. Using microwaves would give them a wide spectrum capable of handling tremendous, very high speed bandwidth, rather than the BPL of old.

The original probably didn't go far as the main push was for the much lower frequency BPL Which if remember correctly was at first favored by the FCC until you pointed out its shortcomings.

IOW The Corridor Tech's product did not fit the mold of what had the money behind it and It used "new", relatively untested technology, while the favored BPL used established tech that was easy for most to understand. I believe those behind the old BPL thought they could steamroll over any opposition to the shortcomings until you thankfully made the magnitude of those shortcomings apparent.

Only after this new tech has been tested will we know if there are any side effects. As the signal travels in a basically non conductive medium (much like a wave guide), I doubt diode rectification will be a problem, but only time will tell.

Hopefully they will be well away from the weak signal satellite down link bands

73

Roger (K8RI)