Re: [RFI] Station grounds

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Station grounds
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 09:38:03 -0700
On Wed,9/28/2016 9:21 AM, Kenneth G. Gordon wrote:
I thought it was against the NEC for a ham station's ground system which would
use, say,
four 8' ground rods, separated by 6 to 8 feet from one another, and all tied
together with at
least #10 solid wire, MUST be separate from the electrical panel ground system
and not
connected to it.

Absolutely wrong. The above idea is widely held by some high futility audio types as a means of preventing hum, buzz, and RFI, but I've never seen it carried over to ham radio. It is VERY unsafe, and is a violation of NEC.

Yet I read on W8JI's site and on K9YC's PDF that all such ground systems MUST
be tied
together.

Virtually all electrical codes in North America require that ALL grounds be bonded together. FWIW, until I retired a few years ago, I taught this material in 3-hour workshops at annual conventions of the sound and video contractors who install systems in large and small buildings all over North America. You can find the text material and Power Point slides in the Audio section of my website.

73, Jim K9YC