[RFI] 2 Questions on Grounding & bonding multiple items

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 2 Questions on Grounding & bonding multiple items
From: Huff David J <HuffDavidJ@JohnDeere.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 15:58:24 +0000
I am helping a friend setup a station, and I have 2 basic questions on bonding
and grounding.

1.       We have some GFCI outlets that were showing RF issues, so I added
ferrites around the 120Vac wires leading into the GFCI to solve the problem,
but someone asked if that violates NEC code.  I am unable to find anything for
or against this in NEC, but I am not an expert.  Does anybody know if this is
acceptable?  Do I need any specific mounting, banding, or grounding to meet NEC
code with ferrites.

2.       There are multiple HF radios next to each other, and someone had the
bright idea of running a single ground wire around the shack, then tied to a
single ground rod.  I found during testing that a single ground wire acted like
an antenna, causing lots of interstation interference.  Adding ferrites to a
ground wire seems to work, but causes some people to question if this is
acceptable.  I realize lightning and high voltage will blow right past the
ferrites, but is it acceptable to add a ferrite to prevent interstation
interference?  I personally think the people driving this do not understand the
concept of grounds, but that is another whole topic.

Thanks,

David J. Huff
W0im