[RFI] Strong hash now gone, but where and why?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Strong hash now gone, but where and why?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 00:35:33 -0500
Many times I've remarked about not having RFI in 555 years as a ham. That came to a screeching halt around last spring with a tremendous noise. Previously I had been listening with no RFI. I had what I thought was a grounding problem in the shop. WD8BPT tightened both neutrals, but they were almost as tight as we could get them.

I thought I'd just use the rig in the house but that noise, typical of switching supplies made 160 - 40 unusable. Then Dennis (WD8BPT) suggested getting a good antenna for most of the bands in case we didn't get the LM470 and C19XR in operation before the weather turned bad. Sooo...I hooked the system to the AV640.

Back to the noise problem. I had discovered the pure sin-wave line conditioner was the worst generator and I'd work on it, time permitting. I turned on the rig and all was quiet where I had close to S9 noise previously with the line conditioner off. I fired up the line conditioner and no noise, where a few months earlier turning it on produced a tremendous noise.

This leaves me a bit puzzled, but the noise MAY be due to a poor neutral in the house. I need to get someone locally to tighten up those connections.

The feeds for the house and shop do come from the same pole pig. The only difference I can think of is there are no rigs in the shop at present.

73, Roger (K8RI)

---