Re: [RFI] Polarity Tests -- Great Work, Wrong Word

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Polarity Tests -- Great Work, Wrong Word
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 11:09:05 -0700
Thanks for the great work, but you're using the wrong word to describe it. The correct word is "polarization," which describes the orientation of a field in 3-dimensional space. We most often control the polarization of a field by the orientation of the antenna that produces it.

"Polarity" is the positive or negative sense of the waveform. We change polarity by reversing the pair of wires carrying a signal, or by passing it through an inverting gain stage. Historically that has WRONGLY been called "phase." It is NOT phase -- phase is a continuously variable function and is measured in degrees.

The effects of phase and polarity are VERY different. Phase varies with frequency, time, and the nature of the electrical circuit (including antennas) that carry a signal. Phase is defined for a single frequency. If, for example, we add a length of line to provide a 180 degree phase shift, the phase shift is different at every frequency. If, however, we reverse the sense of the signal, the result is that the two signals cancel at ALL frequencies (provided that the antenna doesn't also modify the phase, which it often does).

73, Jim K9YC