Re: [RFI] RFI turn out to be a New Solar Panel installed on Roof of Gara

To: WX5L <wx5l@charter.net>, Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI turn out to be a New Solar Panel installed on Roof of Garage 700 feet away from my QTH
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 07:51:07 -0700
Hi Randy,

Don't consider me an authority on solar systems -- they are an evolving industry, and too much for me to keep up with. That said, there are (at least) two fundamental mechanisms that I'm aware of that generate noise. One is the charge regulation system that prevents overcharging of the battery, and it's accomplished by pulse-modulating the charging current in various ways. That noise is only present which there's light hitting the panels. The other mechanism is the DC to AC inverter, and it's present whenever the batteries are supplying 120-240 VAC. The characteristics of both mechanisms are essentially the same -- the noise is strongest at the lowest frequenciess, but how quickly it rolls off with increasing frequency depends on circuit design, equipment construction, wiring layout, and distance. My neighbor's system wipes out 6M during the summer months during the day.

73, Jim K9YC