Re: [RFI] Snap-on RFI suppression core size vs cable size

To: "'rfi@contesting.com List'" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Snap-on RFI suppression core size vs cable size
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 10:25:28 -0400
Hi Joe. About a year ago I did just what you guys are talking about. I had purchased a whole bunch of assorted split bead cores of various sizes and shapes off Amazon. No specs with them but the price was so right that I picked up 40-50 of each flavor I could find.

At the time I did not have my HP-8712ES VNA so I used my AIM 4170 to experiment a little bit and just have some fun to see what my new cores looked like RF wise. I took a given core and tested it with 1-T, then 2-T, then 3-T etc....then for fun put two of those cores in series (each with 1-T) to see for myself what effect the various configurations had on the impedance (real & imaginary) over frequency. Then tried 3 cores in series etc, etc.

It was interesting to see how superior a single core with multiple turns of wire worked vs. a single turn of wire through 2, 3, or even 4 of the same cores all placed in series with each other.

I may be able to find the plots that I saved and if you are interested I would be happy to share them with you. But I want to point out that Jim (K9YC) has already done all this hard work (and a whole lot more) and made those results along with an excellent narration available for all of us via his published papers. I am sure his test methodology and accuracy is far superior to what I did....again I was just messing around wanting to get a quick idea of what happened under different scenarios with my generic cores. 73

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....