Re: [RFI] SO2R and 2nd harmonic

To: "k1ttt@arrl.net" <k1ttt@arrl.net>, 'Matt NQ6N' <matt@nq6n.com>, "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] SO2R and 2nd harmonic
From: JW via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 20:28:58 +0000 (UTC)
Do not overlook the amount of RF modulated by 60 and 120 Hz and harmonics
thereof that are exiting the 'box' (RF amp, radio, etc.) via the POWER CABLING.

While at Heathkit we nailed down an otherwise 'clean' carrier that ONLY sounded
dirty when monitored locally when the transmitter was running into a dummy load
in the lab. The spectrum analyzer showed modulated carrier coming out of the
radio on the power cabling BUT clean exiting the RF output spigot.

What one hears is AC modulated RF in that day and age. Move forward 30 years
and add switching power supplies into the mix plugged into the same AC power
bus.

de Jim WB5WPA