Re: [RFI] Comcast - 80 meters rings phones

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Comcast - 80 meters rings phones
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 10:37:15 -0800
I agree with both of these suggestions.  CAT5 makes great telephone cable if you use one pair per line. The only thing I would change is to use even more turns on the ferrite choke(s) and I would place them close to the phones that are ringing.  FWIW, modern wired phones are notorious for RFI.  This is another problem that can often be solved or minimized by the use of a UHF wireless system, in this case, a base station and multiple "walk around" handsets. We've been using a Panasonic system for about five years, and another system with fewer handsets for years before that.

All it takes to install a system like this is to plug the base station into one of the wired outlets. Most are powered from the telephone line or a wall wart. The model we bought at Costco uses one of the handsets plugged into the base station for battery backup. With this RFI problem, I'd plug it in with as little wiring as possible to where the wired line enters the home and disconnect other wiring from it (doing so in manner that it can easily be restored). And I would put a choke one the line to that base station. The wall wart is probably an SMPS that will create RFI, so should be replaced by an old linear supply.

In doing the research for telephone chokes/filters that I incorporated into RFI-Ham, I obtained several popular filters that were built and sold by hams and measured them. The results are shown in Fig 28 on page 19.  All of these filters are common mode chokes, and all have choking Z greater than 10,000 ohms across the bands they cover. One has a choking Z greater than 20,000 ohms on the AM BC band.

73, Jim K9YC