Re: [RFI] AT&T Begins Testing High-Speed Internet Over Power Lines

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] AT&T Begins Testing High-Speed Internet Over Power Lines
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 07:10:18 -0500
If and When the grid fails (for any reason) Don't worry about your service as there will be no Internet and only antique cars on the roads as long as they have gas.

Solar panels? Gone with all solid state devices. Computers? Likely fried as well as all the new fancy ham gear. We'll be more interested in food and staying alive than the Internet.  Add staying warm to that. Old 2 and 3 tube QRP rigs will be the most reliable. The old Collins and Hallicrafters equipment will likely still work, but those old rigs we power hungry even in standby. Certainly not the choice for running when power is limited.

As to on topic, the article has many inaccuracies.  Fiber is not limited to anywhere near a gigabit.  Rather than Gbs it should make close to GBs or faster Cables used for cable TV can beat the Gbs limit with many 100 Mbs and many more slower connections connections running simultaneously.  I'd take tha article with a heaping spoon of salt, rather than a grain.

Speed limits on any service except dial-up are mainly limited by the equipment at each end. IF this system is based on previous information, a coating on the high tension lines acts like a wave guide.

I find good old cat 5 to be far better than the best WiFi offered. They get to gigabit speeds by adding the limits of all three possible frequencies.  How fast they are in reality is much slower.  I'm in a rural subdivision and can see at least 7 or 8 networks. That limits my speed on WiFi to less than half the advertised rate. Usually it's only a quarter.

73, Roger (K8RI)