Re: [RFI] Twisted pair in conduit?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Twisted pair in conduit?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 18:38:18 -0800
Hi Jim,

I've addressed RFI issues with this sort of motor controller in several of the RFI tutorials/app notes on my website.  As W0LEV has noted, filters are required and they probably help. Maybe enough, maybe not.

Twisting power conductors inside conduit is quite acceptable under NEC provided that the conductors used are rated for the voltage and the conditions of installation. It's VERY rarely done, so electricians will give you blank stares, and inspectors may tell you it's not permitted. :)

There ARE environmental requirements for the specific types of cable that may be installed. They are based on flammability, toxic fumes, and flame spread, and were instituted after the real world "Flaming Inferno."

Using twisted pair for the current-carrying conductors DOES greatly reduce noise at both AF and RF. It's also quite important that neutrals be bonded to ground at one, and ONLY one, point within a system. A double-bonded system allows neutral current to divide between neutral and ground, which creates a massive magnetic field. In a proper system, the magnetic field is confined to a narrow region between the conductors, because the currents are equal and opposite.

If, for example, it's a wye-connected 3-phase motor, each phase should be twisted with a neutral.  If delta, each side of the delta should be a pair.

Another potential problem is the a bond can be formed at RF by capacitance between neutral and ground at the end without the DC bond. At RF, this produces the same mess as the DC bond.

In some jurisdictions, metallic conduit is either required or commonly used.

Another issue with using twisted pair is that 1) it's harder to pull; 2) larger overall diameter; 3) conduit may not be large enough; it can be difficult to pull new conductors through the existing conduit system.

73, Jim K9YC
http://k9yc.com