Re: [RFI] LG machines can be OK

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] LG machines can be OK
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 14:10:51 -0800
On 1/27/2018 11:11 AM, Alex wrote:
We purchased a LG washer (model WM3270CW) and dryer (model DLE3170W) at the end of 2016 based on a Consumer Reports recommendation and searching the net for *substantiated* reports of RFI problems (we found none).

Exactly what would you consider "substantiated?"

After installation I checked with a FT-817 around the appliances and found no significant RFI from either.

While we're all glad that you've found a good product that doesn't cause you problems, I would not consider your report "substantiated." Rather, I would like to see broadband waterfalls that cover a wide swath of frequency from an SDR connected to some sort of antenna close to the product and its wiring. Noise generated by electronic products that are not arcing tends to concentrated in frequency. There are broad "humps" of noise that repeat very 10 - 30 kHz and are unstable in frequency (generated by switch-mode power supplies and motor controllers), and there are steady (or pulsing) carriers (generated by microprocessor clocks and their circuitry.  Noise from these products is often much stronger (or absent) in different frequency ranges. The 33V power supply that SteppIR shipped me was MONDO noisy between 17M and 10M (like 20dB over S9 on 12M into the 3-el on a 120 ft tower 200 ft away!). Noise was present on lower bands, but not nearly as bad.

The most likely cause of RFI in a product that has a motor is a variable speed controller for it. Variable speed controllers are a strong and well known cause of RFI. They cause RFI when the motor is running, but are unlikely to do so when the machine is idling. Another likely cause is a switch mode power supply for on-board electronics.

73, Jim K9YC