Re: [RFI] Keyboard

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Keyboard
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 12:53:21 -0500
You have received some good tips. I would like to add that in a previous life when I was a lead tempest engineer I had to design and test items like keyboards and the problems we had to overcome, in some cases, are somewhat similar to what you are experiencing. Of course the major difference was which direction the offending RF was flowing.

Adding the proper ferrite cores, with multiple turns thru each end on the main cable is a great place to start since it is easy, inexpensive and does not involve ripping open the KB. Replacing the cable with a properly shielded one and ensuring that it is properly terminated is beyond what most people are prepared to tackle.

Just keep in mind that a typical stock, plastic cased keyboard will not impede much RF energy from getting directly into the PCB traces, the electronics on the PCB, and all the cables/wires inside the KB itself. All of these become receiving antennas & receptors of the RF you are transmitting.  The same is true of RF energy escaping the KB leading to possible RF issues which was my task to solve. I suspect a pair of proper cores will help you out but in the event it does solve your issue keep in mind the other possibility I mentioned above, i.e., direct impregnation of RF directly through the case and into the KB itself. GL es 73

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....