Re: [RFI] Politics and RFI

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Politics and RFI
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 18:13:25 +0000
The two largest offenders in this home are:
     1)  The new appliances - all contain Chinese switchers that came
through Customs as a 'component'.  And....., FCC specifically
          exempts home appliances from any regulations regarding RFI ! ! !
  Must have a good lobby in Cangress?
     2)  My ISP, Jab Broadband, or what ever they are called these days
(localy Rise Broadband).  I've aggressively loaded their line
          from the dish to the radio room with massive amounts of ferrites
and done a responsible job of terminating the shielding on
          the CAT 6 cable.  Can't totally reduce them to the noise floor on
HF or low VHF (I play radio astronomy as well as amateur
          radio).

Dave - WØLEV

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 8:35 AM, Roger (K8RI) via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
wrote:

> MI and a number of states are offering FREE solar installations to the so
> called middle class. IOW most home owners.
> Although you seem to be targeting imports from China, they come in from
> all over the world with many as components.  Currently because of taxes,
> parts from Europe tend to cost more so the impetus is to purchase cheap
> elsewhere.
>
> Save 10 cents here and there in computer power supplies and with millions
> sold, ea 10 cents saved can quickly add up to millions of dollars.  TV
> sets. computers, networks, and so on.  I counted an easy 10 to 12 wall
> warts here in the den depending on what I'm running. Modem (1), Router(1),
> Telephone(1), servers (2), USB drives (2)(can be 4 or 5), assorted
> accessories (2 to 4 more).
>
> It seems like everything comes, powered by a wall wart. At least my
> wireless headset is powered by USB from the computer.
>
> "So far" with 5 computers, and 2 smart TVs on a CAT5 Gigabyte network
> along with numerous laptops, tablets, and smartphones, on wifi I've had no
> interference from "MY" stuff. I did have something running S9 that was
> between 60 and 120 degrees that "appeared" to be at least a mile away. It
> was just a strong white noise that fell off rapidly around 60 and 120
> degrees. For frequency it fell off between 15 and 20 meters on one end and
> above the 6-meter band on the other. I haven't heard it in a couple of
> years. About the time the local hams got serious, it disappeared.
>
> It hasn't been many decades since we complained about Japan, then Korea,
> then China. Whose next as the noise floor continues to climb?  Right now
> (4:15 AM) the noise floor on 40 is between S1 and S2 on the FTDX5000 with 1
> preamp.  There's too much junk in front of the rig to adjust much of
> anything.    There will always be someone on the horizon who will build
> cheaper and sell for less.
>
> In many cases it's American companies buying and assembling cheap,
> imported junk. We were the originators of planned obsolescence.  I had a
> car in the late 60s or early 70s that had the right front quarter panel
> rust out before the car was a year old. The manufacturer offered to pay
> half the cost of fixing and painting. I had a custom shop do it for less
> than that and I trusted their work.
>
> 73, Roger (K8RI)

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*