Re: [RFI] ethernet switch with shielded case or low emission spectrum

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ethernet switch with shielded case or low emission spectrum
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 15:05:31 -0400
I hope this doesn't come through as a duplicate. My ISP changed the way they handle messages and one of my protective programs requires I OK the exceptions which dumps the mail requiring I do it over.

Be careful with wallwart power supplies.

I have used 8 port LinkSys and Netgear switches on a Gigabit network (Cat-5 wiring). I'm currently using a LinkSys Router with an 8 port Gigabit connection plus the 3 frequency wireless capability.  The past switches and the current router sit on top of the Emtron DX-2sp, or the Yaesu FTDX5000. 3 runs of the unshielded Cat-5 run with the coax cables to the 100' 45G for abt 75 feet. It's 130' run from the router to the shop computers. Neither the network or station appear to hear each other when the bands are dead quiet.

My approach for the last 30 plus years has beet to run cables where ever is convenient and "IF" there is a problem, THEN address the problem by fixing the source. There is no expertise involved AFAIK.  It's basically luck.  IOW the cabling behind the rigs and computers is a MESS. The only time I ever had a problem was when I tried to "neaten" up the mess while running multiple stations on multiple antennas.  It took me WEEKS to get rid of the interaction and cross talk and I was never sure I had all of the problems fixed.. I have never tried for neat wiring since then.

NOTE : Cat 5 and 6 do this intentionally by twisting signal wires at a rate to intentionally cancel cross talk (coupling) at the frequencies used. IOW you can normally bundle network Cat 5 and 6 cables together with little fear of coupling.

As for earth grounding, I do resort to multiple grounds. There is a daisy chain grounding the equipment chassis string AND an attempt to tie each piece of that equipment to earth ground through equal lengths of grounding cable as short as possible.  We are dealing with RF so The equipment isn't likely to see the short grounds as affecting the longer ones.  The same is true for lightning.  Where the 130' of Cat-5 ran through PVC conduit, induced voltages cost me a bundle with the Connectors being welded into one UPS, totaling one (state of the art)  new computer and wiping out the NIC in a second computer.

There are two Caveats: Keep antennas well away from network cables and eliminate, or keep common mode RF on coax to a minimum. IOW, I use common mode chokes on most of the antennas!

For induced voltages (lightning protection) long runs of Cat 5 need to be in "grounded" metal conduit. Long runs of Cat-6 needs to have the shield grounded  at both ends.

73, Roger (K8RI)