[RFI] What Does Variable Speed Mean?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] What Does Variable Speed Mean?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 12:47:59 -0700
You have a SWITCHABLE speed motor -- it has two speeds, fast and slow.  Think of it as an DPDT switch. No electronics involved.  Think of a variable speed motor as being more like a volume control, so its speed can be varied over any value from zero to high. Except that the speed is NOT set by a pot, it's set by sending power to the motor in a train of DC pulses (square/rectangular waves) whose frequency and/or ratio between on and off is varied. As I hope we all have learned (by studying electronics and/or math) any fast transition between on and off produces an infinite series of harmonics, the strength of which depends primarily on the speed of the transition.

Switching power on and off is a fast transition -- we often hear it in our radios as a short pulse (even a crackle) of noise. That variable speed waveform is doing it thousands of times a second, produces a continuous train of crackles.

73, Jim K9YC